About the UpCity Recommendability Rating & Methodology
The UpCity Recommendability Rating Explained
UpCity has developed a proprietary algorithm that utilizes digital signals to measure the credibility and trustworthiness of each of our Certified Partners. We use this algorithm to build the UpCity Recommendability Rating, an assessment of how recommendable a service provider is in comparison with other service providers. It is derived from a variety of data points that are designed to help business owners find a partner that is the best fit for them, with the goal of giving business owners peace of mind knowing they are partnering with someone they can trust. A service provider’s UpCity Rating helps guide us in ranking and recommending the top service providers by service area in each local market and nationally, providing business with a trusted resource when selecting a partner.
UpCity Ratings cannot be purchased, and rely solely on factors that impact how recommendable a service provider is.
There are eight factors used to calculate the UpCity Recommendability Rating, including information from both within the UpCity marketplace and external sources.
- UpCity Profile Completion: UpCity lists over 33,000 provider profiles. Profiles highlight nearly 40 data points on each provider, including services offered, target markets, price points and more.
- UpCity Engagement Rate: Engaging in our marketplace community increases a service provider’s chances of getting recommended. UpCity has over 9,000 active service providers.
- UpCity Reviews: The reviews on UpCity provide an in-depth view of how a service provider’s customers feel about them and their services and are a key component to how likely UpCity is to recommend a provider to businesses in the marketplace. Both quantity and quality of reviews are considered in the algorithm. UpCity has collected 9,000+ in-depth reviews capturing specific feedback.
- Third Party Reviews: The reviews on other review sites like Google My Business, Yelp!, and Facebook also give UpCity a good view of how customers feel about a service provider. Both quantity and quality of reviews are considered in the algorithm. We utilize over 70,000 third party reviews of our marketplace providers.
- Presence in Search Engines: This signal measures how prominently a service provider ranks in search engines and is a good indicator of overall authority and domain expertise. To this end, UpCity is tracking over 56,000 industry keywords to determine which providers are doing a great job in their industry and geographic region
- Business Location Data: We confirm that contact information in local listings sites like Yelp!, Google My Business, and Facebook is consistent with an agency’s UpCity listing. We current track 10 data points for 33,000+ service providers to understand how well they are representing themselves at the local level.
- Domain Authority: UpCity uses a trusted domain authority metric as a predictor of how much authority a provider’s domain has in the eyes of Google and others. We then take this metric and statistically normalize across our marketplace.
- Website Speed & Experience: The speed of a provider’s website can have an impact on prospects’ first impression of the business. Tools like Google’s PageSpeed scoring can provide businesses with information on how to improve this score.
How Does the UpCity Recommendability Rating Help Businesses Find the Right Partner?
The UpCity Recommendability Rating is based on information provided by service providers and businesses as well as public and third party data sources, and as such should not be treated as the only source of information a business uses when making a buying decision. The UpCity Recommendability Rating is designed to be an accurate assessment of a service provider’s credibility, and should be considered in conjunction with other available information like client reviews and testimonials, industry endorsements and peer recommendations.
Frequently Asked Service Provider Questions about the UpCity Rating
By design, all profiles within our marketplace that are actively listed on any list must be scored and assessed against our rating algorithm in order to qualify to be live and visible.
Our goal is to provide transparency and understanding for business owners across North America, and we create profiles and collect data for agencies and businesses in more than 250 markets across the United States and Canada as part of that process. Claiming your profile and adding additional information about your agency or business helps us to provide a more accurate value for your UpCity Rating.
While there are a myriad of elements that factor into your UpCity Rating score, there are a handful of things you can do to improve your agency or business’ score easily and quickly:
- Claim & Complete all Profile Information. You receive additional points towards your UpCity Rating by claiming your profile and ensuring all fields on your profile are completed properly. This is the easiest way to ensure your profile has a fair shot and prominent placement.
- Gather High-Quality Reviews on your Marketplace Profile. One of the most important factors of our marketplace methodology is feedback from other business owners or clients who can provide first-hand knowledge and feedback about an agency or business and their history. Gathering multiple high-quality, favorable reviews on your profile gives you a significant advantage over other agencies and businesses in your market.
- Ensure Your Business or Agency’s Public Information and Directory Listings are Up-To-Date, Accurate, and Consistent. Because our marketplace focuses on providing business owners with locally-based partners they can connect with easily, your UpCity Rating places a large amount of emphasis on your Agency or Business’ physical location and proximity to a given market. By ensuring your location data is consistent across all available public data sources, both on- and offline, our scoring algorithm is able to place higher confidence in the accuracy of this information.
- Improve Your Business or Agency’s Website Performance and Authority Are Strong. We use a business or agency’s website and overall prominence online to help determine authority and market presence. This includes factors such as organic search performance, backlink portfolio statistics, user experience & load times, and more.
Because our rating algorithm is applied consistently and identically to all profiles across our marketplace as a whole, we are unable to change rating values upon request. By ensuring your profile is completed and accurately filled out, alongside gathering reviews from your clients, you can help influence your UpCity Rating positively, and your position on lists may change as a reflection of new data.
Our UpCity Rating algorithm is constantly being updated and improved to provide more accurate information, so you can expect your agency or business’ rating to change over time periodically. Here are some other scenarios that may trigger a change in your rating:
- Adding or updating information on your profile.
- Periodic re-scoring processes that take place in the marketplace database.
- Significant changes or updates to the rating algorithm that trigger a re-scoring process for all agencies.
Grow your recommendability by joining the UpCity Marketplace
Find a reputable B2B service provider you can trust.