While we compile our lists in no particular order, this time I’m going to list the big guns and industry leaders at the bottom as honorable mentions. Not because their content and blog aren’t valuable (they are incredibly so), but because most of you have heard of them before. We wanted to shine the spotlight on other experts in the small business SEO field.
The world of SEO is rapidly changing, get the latest news from movers and shakers in the field (subscribe to the free UpCity Daily Tips newsletter for more small business search info).
- Steve Webb of Web Gnomes — A personal favorite and not just because of the gnome! They offer really practical SEO advice for small businesses in language that’s easy to understand. In their own words, “they give back”, freely sharing knowledge and advice. Note how they effectively link to others in the industry that are worth reviewing. Link love at it’s finest.
- John Battelle’s Search Blog — John is a veteran SEO consultant with a fresh voice. A man with wit and personal insight not always found in the world of SEO blogs. We love that his personality shines through — that he really has great things to offer doesn’t hurt either!
- Kristi Hines of Kikolani — Kristi is an expert on all things SEO but her service and passion is really writing. The beauty of this is that her posts are incredibly easy to read. She has a host of guest bloggers on her site (carefully selected and knowledgable) and you can find her guest blogging at leading industry resources. Just where does she find the time?
- LinchpinSEO — A web design and SEO company that provides services to almost all aspects of web marketing for small (and larger) businesses. As content specialists, they clearly ‘walk the walk’ with unique posts that don’t seem just to be regurgitated across the web, often with client highlight. BTW – their infographic designs are awesome.
- Search Engine People — One of Canada’s leading SEO firms. They focus on all aspects of SEO. Their blog and social media offer practical advice and are a great example of how small businesses can use these strong inbound marketing process to help grow the business.
- Nick Stamoulis of Search Engine Optimization Journal — Nick is the founder of the well-known SEO firm (with another awesome blog), Brick Marketing. He blogs on a variety of topics around search, be sure to check out the SEO Journal article categories in the right rail. There’s practical advice for every small business owner.
- Tom Demers/Ken Lyons of Measured SEM — This dynamic duo are co-founders at Measured SEM. This SEO agency is well-known in many SEO circles for their contributions to leading SEO blogs such as Search Engine Watch and Search Engine Journal. They work directly with their small business clients to help targeted marketing campaigns. We like their weekly round-ups, too!
- DigitalSherpa — A content and social media marketing specialists that are focused on small- to mid-sized businesses. In addition to a blog with great resources, they offer a full line up of tools and services that will help get traffic to your site.
- Ann Smarty an SEO Consultant | Blogger | Content Expert — Ann is well-known for her writing at Mashable and Search Engine Journal (see honorable mentions below) on all things SEO. Her blog at SEOSmarty isn’t as robust but we wanted to highlight her here anyway—check out her guest blogging resources around the web! Ann’s knowledge is incredible but it’s her writing style and no-nonsense approach that will keep you reading.
- Ross Hudgens of SiegeMedia — Ross gets a nod on our list as a well-known SEO expert and really knowledgable guy. He started his own company, Siege Media, not so long ago so we though we’d send a little PR his way. He shares that he was tired of same old SEO, he’s working to help businesses find their own voice online.
- Aaron Wall of SEOBook — Aaron and his team are well-known leaders in the SEO training and education world. His round-up of SEO tools is particularly helpful to our small business clients. The team writes a hefty blogs on all thing search.
- Becky McCray of Small Biz Survival — Becky lives and breathes small business and help rural entrepreneurs learn and grow. Becky lives by the motto of “bringing promising technologies to the regular everyday small business people of the rural world.”
- Small Biz Technology — A team of experienced writers contributes to this valuable resource. They educate and train small business owners on technology that matters. From Anti-virus reports to videos on Email Newsletter Sign-ups, there’s something for everyone.
- Matt McGee of Small Business Search Marketing — Matt is always on our ‘best-of-the-best’ list because of his practical approach and incredibly helpful tips for small businesses. Under the umbrella of SEO, he is also a leader in local search and news editor of the leading industry sites Search Engine Land and Marketing Land.
- Will Scott of Search Influence — Search Influence is one of the top five local search companies in the US. We love that their mission is “… to help small business succeed online” and they do this with custom solutions across the search spectrum. Their blog is manned by a talented team of authors.
- Matt Cutts from Google — Many business owners will recognize Matt’s name, he’s head of Google’s Webspam team. While his blog is not specifically directed at small business, he’s worth following and reading. After all, without Google, where would we all be?!
- SmallBizTrends — This powerhouse of writers and experts offers everything a small business wants to know about marketing and management. As a series of small business verticals, I encourage you to sign-up for one of their many newsletters, you’ll be glad you did. “Small business success … delivered daily.”
- John Jantsch at Duct Tape Marketing – I’ve written about John before but can’t write this list without including him. What can I say, he is a champion of small business owners everywhere and simplified, manageable marketing plan.
- Todd Malicoat of Stuntdubl — Todd is a veteran SEO consultant that has managed to thrive and grow in the ever-changing world of SEO. From technical complexities to content development to heatmap tracking, Todd’s services are not often matched in the world of SEO writing and services.
- Open Forum by American Express — This compendium of resources focuses on small business needs and marketing. Don’t let the big brand name fool you, it’s a really great powerhouse of news and industry information. (You don’t even need a credit card!)
Honorable Mentions to the industry giants. If you’re ever looking for authoritative voices and help with your SEO issues, these blogs likely have an answer:
Treat yourself to an hour a day of education. Follow just a few of these experts and save yourself hours of trying to figure it on your own. Enjoy!