Submit your Site to Bing Places for Business (and Get Free Traffic)
Online marketing can be tiring! That’s where UpCity comes in. As a trusted advocate for small businesses, we’re here to navigate you through the piles of confusing and suspicious offers. UpCity will lead you in the right direction by providing easy insights and simple solutions for your business marketing plan. Each member receives an in-depth, personalized action plan to help optimize their site, and our team is here to help you along the way. That’s why we’ve decided to launch this exciting new weekly blog series!
Each week, we’re featuring an in-depth look at one of the recommended tasks built into the UpCity software for our clients. These strategies individually contribute to your online presence and increase your chances of bringing free traffic to your site. Subscribe to the UpCity Daily Tips Newsletter for daily recommendations on how to bring customers to your site.
We all know about the magic of Google. Yet, millions of people use Bing to search for businesses on a regular basis, and it’s gaining more popularity as a strong search engine. In fact, the recent “BingItOn” marketing campaign demonstrates that many people prefer Bing search results versus Google in blind tests.
Bing is gaining ground when it comes to local as well. Bing Places for Business is a free online local listings portal. Websites can add, claim, and list their contact information on Bing’s free directory as a strong way to increase their local and national exposure. At the same time, users can search for a business in their nearby location using Bing’s search interface.
In late April, Bing Business Portal re-launched as Bing Places for Business. Bing Places for Business is a seamless, all-in-one dashboard to manage your business online. With the ability to gain authority and exposure through this search directory, we’d recommend creating a Bing citation now rather than later. Bing remains a compelling and leading way to add credibility and lift your business’s search engine ranking.
The displayed business information is featured in Bing Places searches and other Bing search engines. A business listing includes detailed content for users to browse through, such as communication preferences, contact information, hours, parking information, photos, social media information, videos, and much more.
One key difference between Bing Business Portal (formerly) and Bing Places is that it no longer offers the ability to create coupons, QR codes, mobile websites, and print collateral. With the decision to remove the mobile site experience, we’re interested to see how Bing will target mobile into its future search visibility plans. Learn more great tips about how to optimize for Bing.
Processes to Claim or Modify a Bing Places Listing
Adding or modifying your local Bing listing on the user-friendly dashboard takes only a few minutes, and we’re going to review it step by step.We’d encourage all businesses to establish a presence on Bing. Click here to begin claiming your listing.
If you currently have an existing Bing Listing:
- Enter your account and click “Manage your Listings.”
- Click “Edit” to begin updating your business details.
- Although your information most likely migrated, you will most likely need to re-verify the business details to save an update.
- Because you found your business already listed in Bing, it’s important to scan the data for any inaccuracies or outdated text. If you notice an incorrect item (specifically, business name, address, email, phone, and domain), we’d recommend taking the time needed to update it. It’s essential to make sure ALL your local information is consistent.
- Add more details if they weren’t displayed previously, such as videos, hours of operation, contact information, photos, categories, etc.
- Skip to #5 below for more in-depth tips.
If you need to add a new business:
- Go to BingPlaces.com.
- Click “Add Your Business.”
- Search to find your business listing on Bing.com using either the phone number or business name and location.
- If you cannot locate your business after heavy searching, create a brand new listing by clicking “Add New Business.” Or, If you find your business in the search results, you can update an existing Bing Listing by clicking “Select and Edit.”
- Fill in the information under each section. The more details you add about the company, the better! Below are the available data points:
- Basic Business Details (includes address, email, website, and business categories). Note: You are able to insert up to ten business categories, so select as many as you can that target your business. You cannot manually add categories.
- Additional Business Category (includes operation hours, description, company tagline, year established, and brands carried). Note: When carefully writing a company description, include targeted keyword(s), but do not over-use them.
- Online Presence (includes links to Facebook, Twitter, and additional associated websites)
- Images and Videos (includes company logo, up to ten business photographs, and videos)
- Other Contact Information (includes mobile phone, toll-free number, fax number, and additional contact email addresses)
- General Information (includes parking options, payment options, spoken languages, and professional affiliates)
If you need to upload multiple businesses:
The upload tool makes it easy and simple to add many listing at one time. Users can import 10 to more than a thousand business listings all at once using a spreadsheet in Bing’s web interface.
Click for more information on this feature. We found the whole process quick to understand.
If you need to delete a business listing:
- Log into your account and click “Manage your Listings.”
- Find the listing you wish to delete and hit the “Delete” button.
- You will be asked to re-verify whether or not you want to delete the listing and there’s an option to add a reason why. Hit “Delete Business.”
- That’s it!
UpCity members, follow the pathway to complete this task in your UpCity account: Optimize Your Presence > Expand Your Presence > Local 102: Top Local Directories.