Online marketing can be tiring! That’s where UpCity comes in. As a trusted advocate for small businesses, we’re here to navigate you through the piles of confusing and suspicious offers. UpCity will lead you in the right direction by providing easy insights and simple solutions for your business marketing plan. Members receives an in-depth, personalized action plan to help optimize their site, and our team is here to help you along the way.
In this weekly blog series, we’re featuring an in-depth look at one of the recommended tasks built into the UpCity software for our clients. These strategies individually contribute to your online presence and increase your chances of bringing free traffic to your site. Subscribe to the UpCity Daily Tips Newsletter for daily recommendations on how to bring customers to your site.
YP.com is a well-known local and national business search directory. As a one-stop shop for businesses and communities, this platform also features a variety of services for local and national companies, product and services reviews, directions and maps, mobile on-the-go applications, and robust advertising plans. With the millions of customers who search the mobile and online platform on a daily basis, a free YellowPages.com directory listing offers businesses an increase in reach and traffic.
More Behind the Business
Often referred to as the online version of the famous Yellow Pages catalog, the YP business listings have definitely climbed some obstacles in the marketing world. As one of the largest local directories today, it continues to stay relevant in this ever-changing world of local marketing. In May 2012, YP relaunched as a strong local search, media and advertising platform, partnering with thousands of local media consultants to serve its community of businesses across the country. YellowPages.com, in addition to the YP Real Yellow Pages Directory in print, the YP mobile app, and various other brands, are offered through the YP Local Ad Network. It is also significant to note that YellowPages.com sees more than 60 million unique users every month.
Submitting your website to YP.com’s Listing Management Center takes only a few minutes and doesn’t require payment, so why not get started?
Updating or Deleting an Existing Listing
1. First, check if the website is already listed by searching here.
2. If you find your business is already listed, scan the data carefully for any inaccuracies or outdated text. If you notice an incorrect item (specifically, business name, address, email, phone, and domain), we’d recommend taking the few minutes needed to update it. It’s essential to make sure ALL your local information is consistent and correct.
3. To update the business information, click the link that states, “Edit information for this business.”
4. To claim the business listing, click on “Is this your business? Take charge of this listing.”
5. To delete any duplicate listings, click on the tag that states “Inaccurate Results?” Fill in the short form, and then hit the “Submit” button. As another option, we found you you can most likely call the local customer service representatives. They will then submit a ticket to remove the listing(s), which takes up to 30 days.
6. Follow the steps to complete the listing update. If questions arise at any time throughout this process, contact the customer service department at 800-479-2977 or visit this link.
Creating a New Listing
1. To begin adding a new business listing to YP Advertising Solutions, click here to sign up for an online account and fill in the necessary items. You will need to enter a first and last name, email address, password, and security question. Then, click the “Sign Me Up” button at the bottom of the screen.
2. After your account is created, click on the “Add New Listing” button.
3. Enter all the required basic business details, such as phone, business name, business owner name, categories that best describe your business, address, year established. Hit the “Continue” button at the bottom of the screen.
Important Note: When filling out the data about your business, add as much content as you can. This rule applies to YP and all local search platforms that list your business: Make sure the business information is consistent and correct across all your local directory listings. Include your targeted keyword(s) when you can, and be sure to provide a couple links back to your website. However, be aware of over-stuffing the profile with keywords.
4. Depending on the business’s location or market, you may need to call a phone number given at the bottom of your screen to create the listing. If this occurs, you will speak to a customer service representative for a few minutes to finalize the submission. In the example screenshot below, this message popped up when we attempted to create a Chicago business listing.
Pay to Get Found More Easily
In addition to the free directory described above, YP.com offers upgraded listings and an assortment of paid advertising packages. Speaking to one of their marketing contacts may help you decide if one of their solutions is a good fit for your business.
The Expansion of Mobile
Thinking about mobile for your business? You’re not alone. The YP platform saw more than $350 million in mobile advertising revenue in 2012. In addition, it cited 23 million unique users per month this past quarter (YP Local Insights Digital Report Q1, 2013). The growing mobile usage by today’s consumers to find local information will provide an expanded vision for YP’s multiple platforms. We’re excited to see how it will continue to stay relevant and connect with local businesses in today’s digital and mobile world. Click here to read more of YP.com’s recent report; it’s a great read if you’re interested in learning more about local search for businesses.
UpCity members, follow the following pathway to complete this task in your UpCity account: Optimize Your Presence > Expand Your Presence > Local 102: Top Local Directories.
Looking for more Local SEO assistance for your business? Find great Local SEO partners in our Top Local Agency Marketplace!