How to Submit Your Website to Foursquare
Online marketing can be tiring! That’s where UpCity comes in. As a trusted advocate for small businesses, we’re here to navigate you through the piles of confusing and suspicious offers. UpCity will lead you in the right direction by providing easy insights and simple solutions for your business marketing plan. Members receives an in-depth, personalized action plan to help optimize their site, and our team is here to help you along the way. Each week, we’re featuring an in-depth look at one of the recommended tasks built into the UpCity software.
Back in 2005, Google acquired a location-based website called Dodgeball and shut it down in favor of Google Latitude by 2009. Yet, the second iteration went on to obtain more than 40 million users and 1.5 million businesses to date. Foursquare is a local check-in mobile application. This popular tool is aimed at helping users connect with friends and earn badges based on how frequently they check in to certain venues.
Check-ins are promoted within social media and search results. The more people who check in to you local business, the more times the business is shared and boosted within the search engines. The software also creates more foot traffic for your business, driving to an increase in sales. In addition, customers’ loyalty to the app and your business further allows you to target dedicated and local customers.
Registering for Foursquare is a simple process. We’ve detailed the steps below to claim your local listing.
How to Complete a New Listing
1. Start at Foursquare.com.
2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click “Businesses.”
3. Click “Your Listing” in the top right-hand corner of the page.
4. Click the “get started” link at the bottom of the page.
5. Fill in your Business Name and Location (City, State) into the fields provided.
6. Once you enter your information, Foursquare automatically searches for your business if it already exists as an unclaimed listing. If your business is not found, you will receive an alert that invites you to add your new business listing.
7. Enter all of your basic information such as First Name, Last Name, and Birthday. Create a Password for your new account as well.
8. Enter all of your business information on the next screen including Name, Address, and Postal Code.
*Note make sure the details are correct across all local directories you submit the business.
9. To verify you are the owner, Foursquare will ask for your phone number. Make sure this number is available to call immediately. Foursquare’s automated system will call and ask for both your name and the name of your business. You will then be able to choose Expedited Verification or verification through postal mail.
Expedited Verification allows for instant access of all Foursquare business models but at a nominal fee.
Verification through postage provides business owners with a free code to complete the claiming process online. It can take up to a month to complete the claiming process.
How to Update Your Listing
1. Log in to your account.
2. Click the account you want to manage in the center of the page.
3. Click “Manage your listing.”
4. Here you will be able to edit all of your listing’s information.
*Note: Your Basic Info description allows up to 160 characters.
5. Make sure to update your Social Connections and Location. Ensure these items are accurate before proceeding with the next step.
6. Fill in your “Twitter” and “Phone” fields. Carefully select a category for your business and click “Save.”
7. After your profile is completely updated, be sure to take a look at the other free tools available on Foursquare.
Best Practices to Stay Active Foursquare:
Take advantage of Foursquare’s self-service advertising. This new feature offers the placement of ads without speaking to a representative, similar to Google Ads.
Try out different discount “Specials” (Foursquare’s version of rewards for customers) based on the number of check-ins.
Looking for more help? Go to Foursquare Support for more information and get the rest of your questions answered.
Follow the Foursquare Blog to stay on top of the app’s latest news and updates.
UpCity members, follow the pathway to complete this task in your UpCity account: Optimize Your Presence > Expand Your Presence II > Local 201: Additional Local Directories.