Online marketing can be tiring! That’s where UpCity comes in. As a trusted advocate for small businesses, we’re here to navigate you through the piles of confusing and suspicious offers. UpCity will lead you in the right direction by providing easy insights and simple solutions for your business marketing plan. Members receives an in-depth, personalized action plan to help optimize their site, and our team is here to help you along the way. Each week, we’re featuring an in-depth look at one of the recommended tasks built into the UpCity software.
Background of Citysearch
Launched in 1995, Citysearch is a local directory for city businesses and places of interest. Think of Citysearch as a community site for local citations. On this directory, user reviews and advice heavily influence the local listings. The business categories are organized in entertainment, dining, travel, retail, and professional services. Users who participate in this directory to find local businesses will find a return of listed results with user reviews, editorials, and directions.
Citysearch gets most of its local data from InfoUSA, as a result of their partnership. In other words, businesses need to utilize InfoUSA’s Express Update service in order to get listed in its several directories.
All local listings present in Citysearch are claimed and updated through the Express Update platform once a month. According to Citysearch CEO Jay Herrati, the goal in partnering up with InfoUSA is to make this the largest local network of advertisers and applications.
While CItysearch is not what it used to be in terms of traffic, the citations directory remains a strong indicator of local authority and an essential connection to a geo-targeted audience. The enlisting process initially sounds confusing, but we will help you get on track with your local listings in Citysearch by utilizing Express Update. Let’s get started!
Create a New Listing in Citysearch
1. Start by scrolling down to the bottom of the Citysearch homepage and clicking “FAQs.”
2. Go to the “Business Listings” section, and click “How can I add my business to Citysearch?” The answer will will direct you to a link called Express Update. Click the link to continue.
4. On the Express Update page, you will be asked to search for your business by entering your business phone number, name, or address.
If you are unable to locate your business, you will be prompted to add your business underneath the search bar. Click “Add it now.”
5. You will find several fields that require you to type in your Business Name, Phone Number, and Business Category. Fill these in as well as the “About You” section at the bottom of the page. It’s essential to ensure your business information is consistent and correct across all your directory listings.
6. At this point, our example listing was found, and we were prompted to claim it. Whether your business is found or not found, you will need to enter a phone number for the Express Update team to call and verify your listing.
7. It is important to note that the phone number you enter to claim your business or add a new listing must be a direct line and not an auto attend line. A real person will need to answer the call versus an auto responder set of menu options.
8. Once you complete the phone verification (should take no more than a few minutes), your participation is completed. According to the Citysearch, the full claiming process can take 30 to 60 days to have a listing submitted through Express Update to appear on CItysearch for complete verification.
Additional Notes: Make sure to follow-up with Express Update at (800)794-1404 if you have any questions or even to check in and see if your listing has been verified. Click here for more information about CitySearch.
Updating the listing: You can update the information after completing the verification. The changes will show up only after the verification is finished.
UpCity members, follow this pathway to complete this task in your UpCity account: Optimize Your Presence > Expand Your Presence > Local 102: Top Local Directories.
Looking for more Local SEO assistance for your business? Find great Local SEO partners in our Top Local Agency Marketplace!