Ask The Expert 4/24/13: Learning about Talkwalker & Creating A Secure WordPress Site
Got a question? UpCity’s Ask the Expert encourages UpCity members to ask inbound marketing-related queries and receive in-depth, personalized answers from our experts. Each week, we will post some of the Q&A’s here on UpCity Daily Tips.
To access our database of questions or to ask your own question, become an UpCity member today! Sign up for our free UpCity Daily Tips newsletter to learn other strategies for improving your online presence.
Question 1: Do you know of any alternatives to using Google Alerts?
Our Response: We just started using Talkwalker and are finding it very useful to monitor content related to our business. TalkWalker’s free, personalized software monitors keywords for you whenever they arise on the Internet. TalkWalker strives to focus on monitoring news and social sources.
Talkwalker‘s set-up process for customization takes less than a couple minutes, and it’s that easy! Users select whether the media alerts should be sent in real time as they occur, on a daily basis, or on a weekly basis. In addition to exporting and sorting data capabilities, the updates can be sent to a user’s email or RSS feed, and existing Google Alerts can be imported into Talkwalker’s system.
Check out some of our other favorite picks for free reputation management applications. In addition, stay tuned for some upcoming and exciting information on social monitoring and reputation management updates in the UpCity software.
Question 2: I’ve just switched my website’s content management system to WordPress and am nervous about getting hacked. How do I protect my website?
Out Response: Maintaining a secure website is crucial in today’s world, especially for small businesses. Website protection is a continuous strategy and should become part of your business’s daily or weekly routine if it’s not already. Below are several tips that will help keep your data protected as well as will lower your stress level! We’d recommend participating in as many as you can. These strategies can be applied to your website, no matter what type of content management system (CMS) you are currently utilizing:
- Change your passwords often. This is an easy recommendation but A LOT of people complain about this one and aren’t following it.
- Moreover, it’s a good idea to use different passwords for different sites. If that sounds frustrating, you may want to look into a password manager application that helps keep track of ALL your passcodes.
- Use a secure and strong password. Include multiple words and numbers, and a mix of lowercase and uppercase letters. Do not include your name or include common numbers or words (like your address or phone). There are password generator tools on the Internet that can help you create a new password.
- Give out your CMS log-in information to as few people as possible. Admin access should only be shared with those people who need and use it regularly.
- Don’t ignore the CMS and plugin updates that are often sent to you. Not only do they provide you with the latest software, but they also help protect your computer and back up information. Be sure to update your site frequently. Remember: When you perform an update on your CMS or plugin, it’s even more important to back up the data before and after the process takes place.
- Schedule automatic exports of your blog database using plugin applications. Keep several copies.
- Use safe virus software.
- Set up a back up system and back up frequently. With how much information is stored on your computer, it’ essential to make a copy of your data often. Whether using an external hard drive, flash drive, cloud, online storage, or built in software from your computer, we’d recommend saving your information with as many tools as you can. If you’re using an external piece of software, be sure to store it safely afterward.
Question 3: I would like to insert an hcard on my website. Is the hcard meant to be hidden and only seen by search engines?
Our Response: UpCity members can read the answer to this inquiry, as well as many others, in the UpCity Ask the Expert Help Center. Members are encouraged to ask their own online marketing questions for their business, and our inbound marketing experts are on call to respond to all those questions.
Tap into our community of experts today! If you’re curious about online marketing or SEO, consider signing up for a free trial of UpCity. If you’re already an UpCity member, you can access the Ask the Expert area here and the general Help Center here.