Got a question? UpCity’s Ask the Expert encourages UpCity members to ask inbound marketing-related queries and receive in-depth, personalized answers from our experts. Each week, we will post some of the Q&A’s here on UpCity Daily Tips.
To access our database of questions or to ask your own question, become an UpCity member today! Sign up for our free UpCity Daily Tips newsletter to learn other strategies for improving your online presence.
Question 1: I heard from a colleague that LinkedIn Answers disappeared. Is it gone completely?
Your colleague is correct. LinkedIn removed Linked Answers only recently on January 31, 2012. Instead, LinkedIn is concentrating on creating effective strategies to share across its 200 million professional users. To learn how to create a personal LinkedIn profile, click here. Your LinkedIn personal profile, business profile, Groups, and other LinkedIn channels will provide Q&As for you, no matter what industry you’re looking for.
Question 2: Could you recommend some best practices for posting images to my blog post and making sure they are optimized?
Our Response: Of course! Images are an essential component in the content of a blog and a great way to bring traffic to your site. Not only can an image get a web page to rank higher in Google, but the image itself can increase its ranking in Google’s image search. As a best practice, it’s important for graphics to be featured as much as possible to draw your readers in, and increase the visual feel of the post. To lift your blog post’s exposure and reach, images should always be properly optimized and link back to your site. These image optimization steps are easy to complete once you get the hang of it. Here are six quick image tips:
- The image should be relevant to the surrounding content on your page and draw interest. In addition to using your own photos, there are plenty of sites on the web out that offer free or low priced graphics.
- Concentrate on the name of the image. When you compile the file name, include a quality description with at least one keyword relevant to the page content.
- Use Alt Text for your images, which helps search engines catch and track the images.
- Make sure the image file size isn’t too large, which can negatively impact page load times.
- When you publish any blog post, social media promotion is now the key to success. In addition, make sure to direct the reader right to the blog post and image.
- In addition, we encourage you to shorten the link using a vanity url or shortened url. As a link that is redirected from your original URL, short and unique links create an easier user experience and push for more social sharing. Examples include ow.ly and tinyurl.
Question 3: I was warned about broken links today. Why do I need to look for broken links on my website and remove them?
Our Response: UpCity members can read the answer to this inquiry, as well as many others, in the UpCity Ask the Expert Help Center. Members are encouraged to ask their own online marketing questions for their business, and our inbound marketing experts are on call to respond to all those questions.
Tap into our community of experts today! If you’re curious about online marketing or SEO, consider signing up for a free trial of UpCity. If you’re already an UpCity member, you can access the Ask the Expert area here and the general Help Center here.