Got a question? UpCity’s Ask the Expert encourages UpCity members to ask inbound marketing-related queries and receive in-depth, personalized answers from our experts. Each week, we will post some of the Q&A’s here on the UpCity Daily Tips Blog.
To access our database of questions or ask your own question, become an UpCity member today! Sign up for our free UpCity Daily Tips newsletter to learn other strategies for improving your online presence.
Question 1: Is there a way to “SEO” a couple older pages on my site that no one gets to? How can I get people to visit these pages more?
Our Response: Several important SEO elements can drive more traffic to your older webpages. We’ve outlined a few easy tactics below that your business can implement, which will optimize old pages for search engines and users:
- The first step is to verify if these older pages are indexed in Google. Type “yoursitename.com” as a query in Google, and the results will shows all the webpages that are currently indexed. Make sure these old pages show up in search results. If the search results are not displaying any webpages, you will need to submit the URLs to Google and other search engines.
- Check the robots.txt file, and make sure that this file does not contain “no follow” attribute for these previous pages. If this tag is not set up correctly, the page may be overlooked by engines.
- Select updated keywords that are relevant to these pages and for your business. After keywords are selected, start to optimize all important SEO elements (meta description, H1 tag, etc.) and place on the targeted pages.
- Create links from your most visited pages to these webpages. Link-building tools will help to automate the process. It’s important to provide tangible reason for the visitors to want to click and view the pages. Displaying high-quality, strong content on the pages will help!
- Write and promote compelling blog posts on a regular basis, and be sure to include relevant keywords. Submit this blog content to top directories including links to the old pages.
- For more guidance, visit UpCity.com to begin a free trial of our self-service tool. The software will provide you with a systematic and comprehensive approach to search engine optimization.
Question 2: What is Google Trends?
Our Response: Google Trends creates reports and trends based on search data throughout all of Google. With the popularity of Google searches nowadays, that’s a lot of historical data! Users can try Google Trends as a global search finder and on a more individual level.
As a free and powerful SEO tool, Google Trends is helpful with competitor analysis, keyword refinement and optimization. Businesses can utilize Google Trends to research geographic locations and related terms of keywords, which will help them choose and optimize keywords for any local business. If you are a small business, the process of adjusting factors such as location, time, and related searches will provide more detailed results.
Question 3: How do I know if my website is really listed in Bing/Yahoo?
Our Response: Tap into our community of experts today! If you’re curious about online marketing or SEO, consider signing up for a free trial of UpCity. If you’re already an UpCity member, you can access the Ask the Expert area here and the Help Center here.