Top 25 Web Education Resources for Learning about SEO
SEO stands for search engine optimization, and it is the process of optimizing your site based on search parameters to help visitors find your website. As an SEO beginner, it can be daunting to learn not only how to make your site viewable in search engines but also to take it to the top of the rankings.
Backlinks, social media, title tags, and PageRank are a few of the important terms that incorporate SEO. To become well-versed in the SEO industry, you must commence your learning at the most basic level. Everyone starts out not knowing much on the subject, but the more you read and practice what you learn, the better you become at understanding search optimization!
We’ve gathered together a list of excellent low-cost guides, infographics videos, white papers, and more that will help you become an SEO expert for your business. So, without further ado, here are our top 25 web education resources for SEO:
- 2014 White Hat SEO Guide by Web Marketing School – Jump into the meaning of white hat SEO if this is your first foray into SEO. Cover topics on how your website should be built, basic principles, and more in an easy-to-read format.
- 21 Industry Experts Share Their SEO Tips For 2014 – There is a lot to be learned from SEO experts, and Reginald Chan’s stellar roundup of expert opinion is a smart read for intermediate SEO learners. Find out which strategies apply to your business, and keep the advice that works for you!
- Five Essential Tactics for Long-Term Local SEO Success by Brightlocal – How optimized is your local SEO strategy? Myles Anderson puts out a very useful guide for local SEO to bolster your visibility in 12 months’ time.
- Google SEO Guide: The Ultimate Resource by WordStream – Next is the Ultimate Guide to Google SEO, crafted by Larry Kim. Here, he gives the basics of the search engines, links, and on-page optimization.
- Google Webmasters YouTube Channel – Stay up-to-date on Google news, updates, and tips by watching the Google Webmasters YouTube Channel. The videos go over the foundation of Google as well as helpful search parameters to keep in mind.
- How Search Works by the Google Team – Get an inside look at the inner workings of the Google search engine with this interactive web resource! The fine folks at Google share significant statistics, progress over the past year, and practices that can boost your website’s search metrics.
- I Test Drove All In One vs Yoast. By The SEO Mechanics That Really Matter by Dan Shure – Okay, it seems like you’re getting a grasp on the SEO advice you read thus far, but which SEO mechanics truly matter to your site? Dan Shure gives us the answer by comparing two of the top SEO WordPress plugins in an illustrative guide.
- Link Building Course by PointBlankSEO – Your link building strategies can always be upgraded. PointBlankSEO’s Jon Cooper slowly walks us through the link process to make sure we understand linking in the context of your website and SEO.
- Link Building Methods that Work in 2014 – It can be difficult to discern between what is fact or fiction in the SEO world. Matthew Barby puts together a transparent resource on the most productive ways of link building in 2014.
- Local SEO in 2014 by Webmeup – You can never learn too much local SEO. Joel Klettke presents a brief summary of local marketing the search elements you need to identify for your website to succeed.
- SEO 101 by Distilled U – Welcome to SEO 101 at Distilled U, the online SEO university. This course covers the skills necessary for you to acquire a deep knowledge of search at the basic level.
- SEO Guide for Beginners by Evolve Digital Labs – Here is another SEO guide for beginners! The search industry is continually changing, but this series by Evolve Digital Labs walks you through the duplicate content, keyword research, and important myths to get you up to speed.
- SEO Solid Crew: A Beginner’s Guide to SEO by Moonfruit – If you are more of a visual learner, this infographic by Vicki of Moonfruit teaches you the most important points regarding SEO and web optimization. Read it and enjoy!
- SEO Traffic 2014: Your One-Stop Reference Guide for Non-SEOs by Traffic Generation Cafe – What do you get when you combine the expertise of blogging with the knowledge of SEO? You essentially receive a guide created by the remarkable Ana Hoffman! This guide discusses SEO concepts in a comprehensible manner and gives illustrated examples for your optimization success!
- The Advanced Guide to SEO by Quicksprout – Neil and Sujan Patel put together the most extensive and detailed guide that exists for search optimization. For all of you advanced SEOs, this is the guide for you.
- The Beginner’s Guide to WordPress SEO by Yoast by Tutsplus – There’s absolutely no better way to learn SEO than to DO SEO. Using WordPress (or other blogging platforms) is a terrific way to learn search optimization. Ahmad Awais shows us how through walking through the WordPress SEO plugin by Yoast.
- The ClickMinded Search Engine Optimization Training Course – Are you in the market for professional SEO training? Take this course headed by Airbnb’s resident SEO, Tommy Griffith, with more than 5 hours of content and 66 lectures to absorb.
- The Complete Beginner’s Guide to SEO by Buffer – Courtney Selter at Buffer crafts an incredible breakdown of SEO for the complete beginner. View the images, read the content, and test some of her ideas out for yourself to get the full effect of what you learn from her guide!
- The Easy Guide to SEO Basics for Editors by Lunametrics – Learn the most useful SEO structure for editors in this simple guide by Chris Vella. Use this quick one-page cheat sheet whenever you need a refresher on SEO.
- The Shocking Truth – How Social Media Will Affect SEO in 2014 by All Blogging Tips – You might want to start with how social media affects SEO if you don’t want to jump completely into the subject just yet. Abrar Shafee writes a detailed post with social media tips to boost your site’s visibility.
- The Superhuman Guide to Keyword Research and Competitive Analysis by ViperChill – Keyword research may sound intimidating, but Viperchill’s Glen Allsopp’s post provides a step by step guide to researching in a proper way. With live examples and screenshots to guide you, this resource will lead you to SEO excellence.
- The Short Cutts – Get the short answers to every Matthew Cutts video ever released with this helpful resource, the Short Cutts by ClickConsult. Even as an SEO marketing beginner, you will find most of your questions answered here.
- What is SEO? A Beginner’s Guide by Midas Media – If you’re a little late to the SEO world, you might want to get up to speed on the effects Google has on the industry in the past several years. Marcus Knight sheds light on SEO and fills you on in the updates that have rocked the market.
- What is SEO in 2014? by Hobo – Shaun Anderson creates an excellent SEO resource, bringing you up to speed on what’s new for the industry in 2014, as well as linking to some valuable SEO videos and guides. Spend some time reading this post for a solid take on search.
- Your How-to Guide for SEO in 2014 – Every little bit of knowledge helps in the realm of SEO. If you don’t yet understand H1 and title tags, head over to Lee Wilson’s blog post guide to search marketing.
What do you think of these resources? We hope they shed light for webmasters who are looking to become vastly more educated on the subject of SEO. If you think of any standout education resources we may have missed, post them in the comments below.