Beginner's Guide to Creating a Pinterest Account for your Business
Online marketing can be tiring! That’s where UpCity comes in. As a trusted advocate for small businesses, we’re here to navigate you through the piles of confusing and suspicious offers. UpCity will lead you in the right direction by providing easy insights and simple solutions for your business marketing plan. Members receives an in-depth, personalized action plan to help optimize their site, and our team is here to help you along the way. Each week, we’re featuring an in-depth look at one of the recommended tasks built into the UpCity software.
The development of Pinterest began back in late 2009 and launched a closed beta in March 2010. The site acquired 10,000 users only nine months after its launch. In December 2011, it was named the best new startup of 2011 on TechCrunch. A month later, Pinterest became the fastest site in history to ever break the 10 million unique visitor mark.
Today, more than 70 million active users are currently using Pinterest. Despite these high numbers, Pinterest is an easy-to-use tool. Pinterest is simply a photo-sharing site that allows users to create and share theme-based photo collections.
Users participate on Pinterest by adding and collecting image content (called “pinning”) and posting them on pages called pinboards. Pinterest is a great tool to promote your business by sharing relevant images.
For example, pinning on Pinterest increases your business’s authority. Participation on Pinterest is an opportunity to educate potential customers on your products in visually compelling ways and to repin other people’s content to build trust. This engagement can lead to increased links and referrals back to your company from similar industries. Users check into Pinterest Analytics to see how much traffic is accumulated from each pin.
To expand their business offering to company owners, Pinterest is rolling out its first ad product, Promoted Pins. The ads will be transparent, relevant, and based on user feedback. Although it’s causing much debate in the industry, business owners will take advantage of this huge opportunity, and we’re excited to see where it leads marketers.
Pinterest is also appealing to publishers by creating new Article pins. These allow for more information to be displayed from a pinned article, all the while allowing users to save the stories that matter to them.
How to Create a New Business Account
1. Begin at Pinterest.com.
2. Click “Businesses” in the bottom right-hand corner of the page.
3. Click “Join as a Business” in the middle of the page. If you already have a Pinterest account, you can log in at anytime.
4. Fill out the business information to register, including Business Type, Business Name, and Website.
5. Make sure all the data you fill in is accurate.
6. Read through the agreement and click “Create Account.”
7. To confirm your email address, check your email inbox for the verification link. After that, you should be all set!
8. You will want to fill in your board with a few pins and not leave it bare. Fill your feed with the latest pins related to your industry.
9. You now have a complete Pinterest account. Congratulations! You can now start pin and repin images and videos, collect articles, join pinboards, follow users, and much more.
Best Practices for Using Pinterest
Follow these best practices to ensure that you have a properly optimized Pinterest page for your business.
All pins that you create should link back to your website.
It is important that you complete the profile information about your business to the greatest extent possible. Personalizing and branding the page with your business is recommended.
Be sure to include keywords in your titles, tags, and descriptions for your uploaded pins so that they can be easily found on the web and therefore better optimized for search results. Your descriptions should be short and to the point.
Your pins should describe your business as much as you can. Create many boards to describe your business, target audience, likes, features of your website, and goals.
- Add a pin icon to your website, and make sure to post any featured content on Pinterest along with your other social sharing sites, such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
We’d recommend following back pinners who choose to follow you.
For more information, check out our previous article on the top 20 blogs to help you become a Pinterest expert.
UpCity members, follow the pathway to complete this task in your UpCity account: Optimize Your Presence > Expand Your Presence > Social 102: Top Social Sites.
Latest posts by john (see all)
- Top 10 Affiliate Marketing Blogs to Learn From - June 30, 2016
- Ask the Experts 2/26: Google Mobile Search Updates, Rep Management Tips - February 26, 2015
- How to Create a Glossary of Terms for Your Industry to Publish As Content - February 23, 2015