Social media has been enormously influential this past year, particularly the leaping success of Google Plus. In our Small Business Quick Wins blog series this past year, we’ve been delighted to see many businesses actively engaging their customers through social networks. We hope business owners continue to understand social media’s impact and relevance for their brand.
Although social is difficult to grasp from a beginner perspective (such as calculating the ROI or figuring out what steps to take), it is important to understand that people spend more time on social media than any other online activity. It is well worth the investment to connect with members of your audience and create an ongoing plan of action.
To bring home the effects of social media marketing to your business, we gathered 20 powerful statistics that business owners and marketers alike should take with them into 2014. We hope these results influence you to bolster your own social marketing strategy!
Take a look at these interesting facts:
1. Organic search for inbound ecommerce websites was 32 percent more on Cyber Monday than during the Thanksgiving Week.
2. Half of all Twitter accounts live in five countries – the U.S., Japan, Indonesia, the U.K., and Brazil.
3. 75 percent of all Twitter users access the platform through mobile devices.
4. Facebook users spend more than 114 billion minutes per month on the social media application.
5. When posting tweets with links, use 120 to 130 characters for the greatest effect.
6. Google Plus is now home to more than 540 million active users, after launching two years ago.
7. Vine is the fastest growing social app of 2013, increasing 403 percent between the first and third quarters of the year.
8. More than 250 billion images are uploaded to Facebook everyday.
9. On Cyber Monday, Pinterest user purchasing intent increased by more than 3.6 times, compared to the previous 30 days.
10. YouTube has more than one billion unique monthly users.
11. Brands do not answer 95 percent of all Facebook wall posts.
12. 50 percent of all users on Twitter are male.
13. 84 percent of marketers consider blogs the most effective form of social media for SEO and inbound marketing.
14. LinkedIn receives 142 million unique visitors per month.
15. In its third quarter, Facebook earned more than $1.8 billion in ad revenue.
16. Half of LinkedIn users live in the U.S., Brazil, and India.
17. YouTube reaches more U.S. adults in the age bracket of 18-34 compared to any other cable networks.
18. Platforms that emphasize visual content and images, like Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube, saw a large increase from the past year, with increases at 311%, 15%, and 82%, respectively.
“The data shows that social media is a key research tool for holiday shoppers and a key driver of traffic to retailer Websites.” - Heather Dougherty of Experian Marketing Services.
19. Retail brands answer and receive more questions on Facebook but only at a rate of 57 percent. Ecommerce brands are less active with a response rate of 38 percent.
20. Snapchat processes more than 400 million photos a day.
What do you think of the metrics we listed above? What is your business’s strategy for social media going forward into the new year? Let us know in the comments section below!