This post is meant to be helpful for those with an intermediate level understanding of SEO. If you have a basic understanding of how Google and other search engines rank pages and are aware of some basic SEO best practices but aren’t yet an SEO expert, we think you’ll find this post useful. You can also find DIYSEO posts classified by level of expertise on the following pages:
- Posts for any SEO experience level
- Posts for beginner level SEO (those new to SEO)
- Posts for those with an intermediate level of SEO understanding
- Posts for those with an advanced level of SEO understanding
This post is primarily geared toward website owners working in the Joomla content management system, but you’ll find that some of the Joomla SEO tips can apply to Drupal, WordPress, and site building practices in general.
If you’re looking to find success for your business online, you probably already understand the importance of having a crawlable, understandable and findable website. Building your blog or website using a content management system like Joomla opens further opportunity for improving search engine rankings and targeted visitor traffic in a more streamlined way, enabling you to:
- Automate manual processes bogging down your site building workflow
- Effectively and efficiently create and manage your site’s optimized content
- Stay continuously organized, even if your site contains thousands of pages
- Enjoy unique SEO benefits through customized plugins
To make the very most of these benefits, here are 5 Joomla SEO tips to get your site more targeted traffic, higher organic search engine rankings, and ultimately, more business!
- Familiarize yourself with Joomla’s built-in SEO-friendly features. Joomla is not particularly search engine ready right out of the box. Before you implement any Joomla SEO plugins, be sure to take a look at what you can tweak right away. For example, in Joomla’s most recent versions, you can set up search engine friendly URLs with the click of a button in the SEO settings.
- Make use of Joomla’s repository of SEO ‘extensions’. Once you’ve explored Joomla’s built-in functionality, it’s time to make use of Joomla’s rich repository of custom plugins, or ‘extensions’. Organized by category, the extensions directory has a library of plugins specific to SEO and Metadata, with user ratings and feedback to help you decide which are best for you. Some of the most popular SEO plugins for Joomla include JoomSEO, SEOSimple, and sh404SEF.
- Don’t ignore plugins in other categories. With over 6,000 free and commercial plugins to choose from, you can find additional SEO resources in unexpected places in the Joomla Extensions Directory. For example, there are social media extensions, site map builders, in-site search, and other extensions outside of the SEO category that still have a big impact on the experience of both your users and search engine spiders. Popular plugins like these include XMap, the J!Redirect 301 plugin, and AceSearch.
- Embrace the Open Source. Since Joomla is an open source software package, if you don’t find an SEO plugin that you need, you can always build it! (or find someone to build it for you). An even bigger advantage of open source, however, is the community support. From forums to blogs, YouTube tutorials to user groups, Joomla offers an incredibly active community ready to help answer your SEO questions.
- Apply general SEO best practices to your Joomla site. Remember not to rely completely on Joomla’s functionality to do all of the work for you! Incorporating long tail keywords, interlinking, tagging blog posts, reaching out to others in your niche and following other SEO tips while taking advantage of Joomla’s features will give you the ultimate advantage with your website.
For more Joomla SEO tips and tricks, be sure to check out these great resources:
- Joomla’s Official SEO Documentation Library
- Joomla’s Official YouTube Channel
- Search Engine Land’s 14 Key Requirements for a Search Friendly CMS
Subscribe for daily tips to get your business more free web traffic.
Categories: SEO How to